Eating healthy on a budget can be challenging. It does take extra effort to get all the nutrients you need while wisely managing your dollars. At Momentum we help you create plans that work withing your budget. Here are our top 7 tips:
1. Eat frozen- choose frozen vegetables, especially in winter and purchase when on sale. Nutrient quality is retained and preparation is simplified.
2. Use vegetarian sources of protein- beans, tofu, milk and eggs are high quality proteins that are available at low cost. Vegetarian soups and chilis are a snap in a crockpot.
3. Read the local paper to find staple items on sale
4. Buy reduced cost produce- use low cost grocery stores like Grocery Outlet
5. Cook in bulk- Cook meals with friends or multiple families to save money and time
6. Shop store brands
7. Use foods available in bulk rather than packaged goods- Items like oatmeal are available in the bulk section of the store and are often available at significant discounts
Use these tips to create balanced eating plans that meet your energy and nutrient needs. Online sites like mypyramid.gov provide added info for balancing your diet while living within a balanced budget.